NGARIMU, Moananui-a-Kiwa
39784, Second Lieutenant, 28 NZ (Maori) Battalion, WW2

Victoria Cross
Gazetted 1 June 1943, Supp 36040, p2599
During the action at the Tebaga Gap, Tunisia, on March 26, 1943, Second Lieutenant NGARIMU commanded a platoon upon the vital hill feature,
Point 209. He was given the task of attacking and capturing an under-feature forward of Point 209 itself and held in considerable strength by the enemy.
He led his men with great determination straight up the face of the hill, undeterred by the intense mortar and machine-gun fire which caused
considerable casualties. Displaying courage and leadership of the highest order, he was himself first on the hill crest, personally annihilating at least
two machine-gun posts. In the face of such a determined attack the remainder of the enemy fled, but further advance was impossible as the reverse
slope was swept by machine-gun fire from Point 209 itself.
Under the cover of a most intense mortar barrage the enemy counter-attacked, and Second Lieutenant NGARIMU ordered his men to stand to and
engage the enemy man-for-man.
This they did with such good effect that the attackers were virtually mown down, Second Lieutenant NGARIMU personally killing several. He was twice
wounded, once by rifle fire in the shoulder and later by shrapnel in the leg, and though urged by both his company and battalion commanders to go
out, he refused to do so, saying that he would stay a little while with his men. He stayed until he met his death the following morning
Darkness found this officer and his depleted platoon lying on the rock face of the forward slope of the hill feature, with the enemy in a similar
position on the reverse slope about 20 yards distant.
Throughout the night the enemy repeatedly launched fierce attacks in an attempt to displace Second Lieutenant Ngarimu and his men, but each counter-attack was beaten off by Second Lieutenant NGARIMU's inspired leadership.
During one of these counter-attacks the enemy, using hand grenades, succeeded in piercing a certain part of the line. Without hesitation this officer rushed to the threatened area, and those of the enemy he did not kill he drove back with stones and with his tommy-gun.
During another determined counter-attack by the enemy, part of his line broke. Yelling orders and encouragement, he rallied his men and led them in a fierce onslaught back into their old positions.
All through the night, between attacks, he and his men were heavily harassed by machine-gun and mortar fire, but Second Lieutenant NGARIMU watched his line very carefully, cheering his men on and inspiring them by his personal conduct.
Morning found him still in possession of the hill feature but only he and two unwounded other ranks remained. Reinforcements were sent up to him. In the morning the enemy again counter-attacked and it was during this attack that Second Lieutenant NGARIMU was killed.
He was killed on his feet defiantly facing the enemy with his tommy-gun at his hip. As he fell he came to rest almost on top of those of the enemy who had fallen, the number of who survived testified to his outstanding courage and fortitude."

Victoria Cross
1939-45 Star
Africa Star
North Africa 1942-43
Defence Medal
War Medal 1939-45
New Zealand War Service Medal

Born 7 April 1918, Ruatoria, New Zealand
Died 27 March 1943, killed in action at Tebaga Gap, Tunisia
Buried at Sfax War Cemetery, Tunisia (Plot X, E, 14)

The Victoria Cross was presented to his parents by the governor general, Sir Cyril Newall, at a hui at Ruatoria on 6 October 1943 attended by government leaders, diplomatic representatives and local people. The second of only three Victoria Crosses awarded to Māori, it was displayed in Gisborne in the Tairawhiti Museum’s Prize of Citizenship Gallery during 2004 and 2005