MAJOR Thomas Charles
Captain, 5th Contingent, New Zealand Mounted Rifles, att 1 New Zealand Artillery Battery, South Africa

Commander of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire (CBE)
Gazetted 3 June 1919, p7005
To be a Commander in the Military Division of the said Order of the British Empire for services rendered in connection with the war.

Distinguished Service Order
Gazetted 19 April 1901
In recognition of services during the operations in South Africa.

Mention in Despatches
Gazetted 16 April 1901
Specially mentioned in despatched for gallant and distinguished service in South Africa.

Commander of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire (CBE)
Distinguished Service Order
Queen’s South Africa Medal
       Transvaal, Rhodesia, Cape Colony, South Africa 1901
Mentioned in Despatches in South Africa
Colonial Auxiliary Forces Officer's Decoration
Colonial Auxiliary Forces Long Service Medal
New Zealand Long and Efficient Service Medal

(His Decorations and Medals were lost in the sinking
of the NIGERIA in the Hauraki Gulf 19 January 1940)

Born 11 December 1869, Walton, Waikato, New Zealand
Died 20 November 1938, London, England

Charles Thomas Major, schoolteacher, commenced his army service with the Nelson ollege Volunteer Cadets on 11 November 1886, was appointed acting Lieutenant in February 1888.  He ceased his service with this unit in February 1889.  In August 1894 he was Lieutenant in the St John's College Rifle Cadets and attained the rank of Captain before ceasing service in July 1895.  In March 1897 he assumed the appointment of Captain in the King's College Cadets and also in the College Rifle Volunteers (New Zealand Militia), holding both appointments at the time he volunteered for service in South Africa.
He embarked for South Africa with the 5th New Zealand Contingent on 31 March 1900 with the rank of Captain and on arrival there was placed in command of the 1st New Zealand Battery, Rhodesian Field Force Artillery.  He remained with this unit throughout the campaign and in April 1901 was Mentioned in Despatches and awarded the DSO.  He left South Africa in the rank of Major on 12 June 1901, returned to New Zealand on 12 July and was struck off strength of the contingent on 11 August 1901.
He resumed service in June 1901 as Captain of the Nelson College Rifle Volunteers, and in May 1902 transferred to the 1st Battalion, Nelson Infantry Volunteers, until December 1903.  Between November 1905 and August 1906 he was again Captain of the College Rifle Volunteers and from March 1908 to March 1911 he held the rank of Major, 1st Battalion, Auckland Defence Cadets.
With the formation of the Territorial Force he was appointed Colonel in command of the Auckland Infantry Brigade on 17 March 1911 and held this appointment continuously until 26 February 1920 when he was posted to the Reserve of Officers.  During this period he held the post of Officer Commanding the Auckland Military District from 10 August 1914 to 9 November 1914.  From 24 August 1920 until 11 December 1929 he was Honorary Colonel to the Auckland Regiment and was then posted to the Retired List.
Colonel Major died in the United Kingdom on 20 November 1938.