ANDREW, Leslie Wilton
11795, Corporal, 2nd Wellington Regiment, WW1
30008, Lieutenant, New Zealand Staff Corps
30250, Colonel, New Zealand Infantry, WW2
15820, Legion of Frontiersmen, New Zealand

Victoria Cross
Gazetted 4 September 1917, p9260 [Also 11 September 1917, p1934]
For most conspicuous bravery when in charge of a small party in an attack on the enemy's position at La Bassee-Ville, France, on 31 July 1917.
His objective was a machine-gun post which had been located in an isolated building. On leading his men forward he encountered unexpectedly
a machine-gun post which was holding up the advance of another company. He immediately attacked, capturing the machine-gun and killing several
of the crew. He then continued the attack on the machine-gun post which had been his original objective. He displayed great skill and determination
in his disposition, finally capturing the post, killing several of the crew and putting the remainder to flight. Corporal Andrew's conduct throughout
was unexampled for cool daring, initiative and fine leadership and his magnificent example was a great stimulant to his comrades."

Distinguished Service Order
Gazetted 17 March 1942, p1261
For outstanding skill and leadership over the very difficult period 25th November to 9th December 1941. The Headquarters 5th NZ Infantry Brigade
and attached troops were captured and taken to Bardia on 25th November 1941. This was not known for certain for approximately thirty six hours.
Lieutenant Colonel Andrew's Battalion was then at Menastir and he tried by all means possible to contact his Brigade and other units. However
despatch riders failed to return and no contact by wireless could be made. Until the 1st December his Battalion continued to carry on their job at
Menastir when food and water ran short and ammunition supply was very low. Lieutenant Colonel Andrew decided the only thing to do was to take his
Battalion and join up with the Indian Division near the Omars. So on the night of the 1st December the Battalion formed up on the escarpment, arriving
at Omars at 0400hrs and contacted Indian Division who gave Lieutenant Colonel Andrew orders to proceed to Musaid and form a new Brigade Headquarters with himself in command and his Battalion was to strengthen up the line Sollum-Capuzzo. These orders were successfully carried out. On 3rd December the Brigade was ordered to Menastir to occupy the line previously held by the 22nd Battalion, handing over to the Indians. At Menastir the Brigade defeated several heavy attacks by Germans, inflicting extremely heavy losses on the enemy. After 3 days the Brigade was ordered back to take over Sollum-Capuzzo. Owing to the position of the enemy this had now become a more difficult move and the only track from below the escarpment was very narrow and blasting by the Engineers had been going on for three days to make it possible for the transport. However this was successfully accomplished and the Sollum-Capuzzo line taken over again. During this period Lieutenant Colonel Andrew showed outstanding courage, skill and leadership and owing to his efforts the Brigade was brought through a very difficult fourteen days. He handed over the Brigade on 9th December."

Mention in Despatches
--no information--

Victoria Cross
Distinguished Service Order
British War Medal
Victory Medal
1939-45 Star
Africa Star
Defence Medal
War Medal 1939-45
Mention in Despatches
New Zealand War Service Medal
Coronation Medal 1937
Coronation Medal 1953
New Zealand Long and Efficient Service Medal

Born 23 March 1897, Ashhurst, New Zealand
Died 8 January 1969, Palmerston North, New Zealand
Buried Services Lawn Cemetery, Levin, New Zealand [RSA, Row 13, Plot 158]

Leslie ANDREW was born at Ashurst, New Zealand, on 23 March 1897.  He enlisted in the in the 1st New Zealand Expeditionary Force on 26 October 1915 and served with the 2nd Battalion, Wellington Infantry Regiment in Egypt and Europe.  Andrew was commissioned in March 1918 and took up a permanent commission in 1919. He had attained the rank of Major when war again broke out in 1939.  He joined the 2nd New Zealand Expeditionary Force as a Lieutenant Colonel, commanding the 22nd New Zealand Battalion. He served in the Middle East, Greece and Crete, being Mentioned in Despatches in 1941 and was award the Distinguished Service Order in 1942. He returned to New Zealand in April 1942 and ceased Expeditionary service in 1943 in the rank of Colonel.  He resumed service in the Regular Army and was promoted to Brigadier in 1948. He retired in 1952, Colonel Andrew commanded the Victory Contingent in 1946.  He died at Palmerston North on 8 January 1969, and is buried in the Services Lawn Cemetery at Levin, New Zealand.  Leslie ANDREW enlisted into the Legion of Frontiersmen in July of 1922