ROSE John Murray
860, Cameron Highlanders
10/692, Major, Wellington Battalion
Legion of Frontiersmen, New Zealand
Gazetted 14 January 1916, 29438, p591
For distinguished service in the field at Quinn's Post, Gallipoli.
Mention in Despatches
Gazetted 28 June 1916, p1207
In connection with the operations described in General Ian Hamilton’s despatch dated 11 December 1915.
Croix de Guerre, avec Palme (France)
Gazetted 24 February 1916, p2066
For distinguished service rendered during the course of the campaign.
Meritorious Service Medal
Approved 14 December 1912
Egypt Medal 1882-89
British War Medal
Mention in Despatches
Meritorious Service Medal
Army Long Service Medal (British)
Croix de Guerre, avec Palme (France)
Born 1 August 1865 Elgin, Morayshire, Scotland
Died 12 June 1948 Palmerston North, New Zealand
Buried Karori Cemetery, Wellington, New Zealand [Sold Niche 38 Dev C1]
John Murray Rose was born on 1 August 1865 in the parish of Birnie near the town of Elgin in the county of Morayshire, Scotland. He was attested at Elgin on 28 February 1884 for service in the Cameron Highlanders (Number 860) at the age of 18 year 6 months, his trade being noted as farm servant. His first appointment was in the Regimental Band as a private but he soon started to move through the ranks. After five years he was promoted Lance Corporal and two years later was promoted Corporal. Two years later he became Lance Sergeant and the following year was promoted Sergeant gaining rank the rank during 1894 and later that of Colour Sergeant. John Rose held a variety of appointments in his Regiment including Colour Sergeant Instructor of Musketry (CSIM), Acting Sergeant Major of Imperial Yeomanry at Alderstot for six months, Quartermaster Sergeant for and Infantry Battalion, and acting Sergeant Major of a Special Reserve Battalion for 9 months. He gained his first class Army Certificate of Education and also the Hythe Small Arms School Certificate for Rifle and Maxim Guns in 1906.
During 1885-86 Private Rose was posted to the Soudan with his battalion which was part of the Frontier Field Force of some 4,500 British and Egyptian troops led by Sir Frederick Stevenson. About 90 miles south of Wadi Halfa (on the border of Egypt and Soudan), south of the Dal Cataracts at a place called Kosheh, the Cameron Highlanders and two Egyptian battalions were engaged against a Mahdist force of Osman Dinga. These forces were defeated together with those at Ginnis which were put to flight by the other columns of the Field Force. CSIM John Rose was discharged from the Cameron Highlanders at Perth, Scotland on 20 April 1908 at his own request after completing 24 years and 54 days, of which 5 years and 97 days were served abroad. Testimonials given at the end of his service make reference to his conscientiousness, tact and zeal, energy and unblemished character. He gained the British Army Long Service and Good Conduct Medal and received and accolade that “No man wears this medal so well earned as he does.” Colonel A. Mackintosh of Mackintosh, the Lord Lieutenant of Invernesshire, and Honorary Colonel of the 3rd Battalion, wrote, “.... He is an excellent non-Commissioned Officer, as his responsible position shows, a good disciplinarian and very keen. He invariably had his company thoroughly in hand when a Colour Sergeant and required no pressing. A keen man in every way either professionally or at sport. I selected him to drill my own son. He had charge of the Musketry and Machinegun drill etc, of the Battalion, which both require thoroughness, great care and aptness. The service is all the better for a man of his stamp. His behaviour and conduct were always excellent and in the absence of the Sergeant Major, he was always selected by me for any duty of a special nature. He is a Gaelic speaking man.” Soon after leaving the British Army John Rose and his family took passage to New Zealand, arriving in Wellington where he applied on 19 June 1908 for an appointment in the New Zealand Permanent Force. The appointment of John Murray Rose (late of the Queen’s Own Cameron Highlanders) as Staff Sergeant Major Drill Instructor of Infantry duties in the Wellington Military District (on probation) was approved with effect from 1 July 1908. The appointment was confirmed on 5 December. Within a very short time he had again made a name for himself.
By June 1910 glowing reports showed he was an “... Outstanding NCO, quiet, tactful, and quickly has the regard of all – from the recruit to the officer. He is personally specially fitted to go into an officer’s position.” Another report stated, “After upwards of two years of experience of SSM Rose, under various circumstances, I can certify that he has in every way fulfilled the high expectations generated by his excellent credentials from a first class regiment. As an all-round instructor he is the best that has come under my notice. As a practical exponent of the possibilities of the rifle as explained in the drill books, his services are most valuable. His ability to extract some gem of good from the hopeless recruit is remarkable. His high sense of duty, his honour and integrity, his tact and commonsense commanded the confidence and respect of every man.”
These and similar comments came from a variety of sources such as the volunteers, Cadet Company officers and the Victoria College (now university) Officers Training Corps. The award of the Meritorious Service Medal was put forward by Colonel Chaytor the OC Wellington District and recommended by Major General Godley. The recommendation was then forwarded and approved on 14 December 1912 by the administrator of the Government, Robert Stout, in the absence of the Governor General. The medal was issued on the 3rd February 1913 and presented shortly after. John Murray Rose was commissioned on 2 February 1913, so he was a Lieutenant by the time he received the award. His duties in 1913 included training Senior Cadets at New Plymouth and Fielding and he was also involved in the Auckland Military Tournament. Within a few days of the outbreak of WW1 in 1914 John Rose was seconded to the Expeditionary Force and joined the Wellington Regiment (number 10/692) under Lieutenant Colonel Malone (later Killed in Action at Chunuk Bair) at Awapuni Race Course, Palmerston North where he was attested on 1 September 1914 and appointed Assistant Adjutant. After six weeks training he embarked for the Middle East. On arrival in Egypt the Battalion quickly set out to become acclimatised and ready for any duty placed their way. They were involved in the Turkish raid on Suez. Captain Rose was attached to Headquarters 4th Australian Infantry Brigade at Heliopolis, Cairo from 30 January 1915 as Musketry Instructor and Brigade Machine Gun Officer and landed with them at ANZAC. He remained with them at the Dardanelles until 30 May 1915 but was wounded at at Quinn’s Post on 2 May. He was again wounded on 25 May 1915 (slightly in the head) by shrapnel at Courtney’s Post while with 14 Battalion, 4th Brigade, Australian Infantry Force, but remained on duty. From 1 June 1915, Captain Rose was with 3 Section Machine Guns at Monash Gully with the Australian Light Horse and New Zealand’s 1st Infantry Brigade until 7 August apart from 6 days rest on board the SS MINNEWASKA He rejoined the 4th Australian Infantry Brigade for the remainder of August, again being slightly wounded in the arm on the 9th August during that attack on Abdul Rahman Bair. He was appointed Wellington Battalion Machine Gun Officer at ANZAC on 13 September 1915 and set up a system of cross and enfilade fire which gave protection and support to the neighbouring forces. Captain Rose was next attached to the 7th Australian Infantry Brigade with headquarters below the apex in Chailak Dere and remained on duty when the Brigade went out to rest at Lemnos. Seven weeks later he too went to Lemnos and was granted a few days leave in Egypt. On return from leave in Alexandria he rejoined the force at Lemnos but by this time the withdrawal was under way. Captain Rose was awarded the Military Cross for his work at Gallipoli particularly in the area of Quinn’s Post. He was also mentioned in Sir Ian Hamilton’s despatches for his gallantry in action on 11 December 1915.
Lieutenant (T/Capt) Rose was promoted Captain in the New Zealand Staff Corps on 11 October 1917 but this was somewhat behind the rank he held in the NZEF. He was promoted Major of 13 January 1916. Back in Egypt there was time for recuperation and rebuilding the strength of the men and units.
On 6 April 1916 Major Rose embarked at Port Said bound for France where the New Zealand Division was now to join the action. He was seconded from the Wellington Battalion and transferred to No 1 Company, New Zealand Machine Gun Corps. He was again wounded on 16 September 1916 in the hand and head and wounded again in both legs which caused multiple compound fractures of the lower leg. He was admitted to No 26 Casualty Clearing Station and then moved to the No 2 British Red Cross Hospital at Rouen on the 18th. After a few days he was transferred on the Hospital Ship CARISBROOKE CASTLE for passage to England and thence to No 1 New Zealand Hospital at Brockenhust (his wife was informed of his injuries by radio on board the SS ROTORUA between the USA and England). After several months he was placed on the return to New Zealand list but was removed from that and appointed 2I/C New Zealand Convalescent Hospital at Hornchurch on 31 October 1917. For the next several months he moved between the hospitals at Walton-on-Thames and Hornchurch. On 8 April 1919 Major Rose was appointed Officer Commanding’E’ Group at Hornchurch.
Major Rose returned to New Zealand on board the SS CORINTHIC on 23 September 1919 and was struck off strength of the NZEF on 10 March 1920 and retired medically unfit on account of the wounds he received during the war. He was posted to the Retired List on 1 December 1920 at the rank of Lieutenant Colonel “....in recognition of distinguished service in the late war.” He retired to his home ‘Ballindalloch’, Mahoe Street, Eastbourne, Wellington. He later moved to Palmerston North to a home called “Brae Lassie” at Awapuni and was employed at the Borough Engineers office. He died at Palmerston North in 1948 in his early 80’s.